Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday morning, November 5. Please set your clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday, November 4.
The book of Ruth is only one of two books of the Bible named after a woman. She is only one of five women named in the genealogy of Jesus found in the Gospel of Matthew. This is surprising when you realize that Ruth was a Moabite woman. Moabites were enemies of the Israelites. Yet, the story of Ruth and her mother-in-law Naomi made the final cut of books included in the Bible. In our class, we will explore their story and think about why it is important and how it speaks to our lives today.
Join Pastor Andrew’s Bible study this November to learn more about Ruth and Naomi. The class will explore how their journey of faith relates to our journeys of faith. Each class will start at 7 PM in Room 3 and will be on Zoom. See the schedule below.
- November 6-Ruth 1
- November 13-Ruth 2
- November 20-Ruth 3&4
The Chi Rho Singers are coming to Evangelical UMC in Middletown on Thursday, October 26 at 7 PM for an evening of music. Their music celebrates God’s love through contemporary and traditional songs. Audience members will be invited to sing for a few of the selections with the choir. The Chi Rho singers are the pastors’ choir of the Susquehanna Conference. The concert is free. There will be a freewill offering. For more information please contact us.
Jesus was fond of asking questions, many of which cut right to the heart of what it means to be human. Why are you terrified? What do you live for? Who do you say that I am? In Questions Jesus Asked, author Magrey DeVega explores six of the most provocative questions Jesus posed to others and guides us in answering them for ourselves.
Asking these questions takes courage. Not only do they reveal what Jesus really cares about, they open a window into our hearts. We all have questions for God, but growth happens when we turn things around and ask what Jesus wants to know about us. When we dare to raise them, these questions bring us a fuller appreciation for the wisdom, power, and presence of God in our lives. Are you willing to step out in faith? Are you ready to answer the questions Jesus asked? (from book’s promotional materials)
Participants should pick up a copy of Magrey DeVega’s Questions Jesus Asked. If you would like the church to order a copy of the book for you, please contact the church office contact us. The cost of the book is $14. If the cost of the book will be a problem, please talk to Pastor Andrew. If you would like to order through the church, please let us know by Sunday, October 8th.
- October 22-Introduction and Chapter 1: Who Do You Say That I Am?
- October 29-Chapter 2: Why Are You Afraid?
- November 5-Chapter 3: Why Are You Anxious?
- November 12-Chapter 4: What Do You Live For?
- November 19-Chapter 5: Whom Will You Love?
- November 26-Chapter 6: What Are You Looking For?
- Sunday School for all ages at 9 AM in the children’s chapel and educational wing
- Abraham and Sarah Bible Study
- Christianity and World Religions Sunday School Class (October 1, 8, 15)
- Questions Jesus Asked Sunday School Class (October 22, 29)
- Potluck Meal after worship on October 1 in the fellowship hall
- Cookie Social after worship on October 8 in the fellowship hall
- Octoberfest Community Dinner on October 14 in the fellowship hall
- Chi Rho Concert on October 26 at 7 PM in the sanctuary
Small Group Opportunities
- Prayer Shawl Group on Tuesdays at 1 PM in the educational wing
- Choir practice on Wednesdays in the sanctuary at 6 PM